Fees, Expenses, & Financial Aid

Give careful consideration to the total financing of your university education. If you need funds beyond those that you and your family can provide, you should apply for financial aid well in advance of enrollment. There are deadlines for applying for financial aid; grants, loans, Work Study and scholarships.

For current student fee information, see Tuition & Fees. Every student must pay the quarterly fees, and any amounts charged to the student account, in full by the fee payment deadlines in the Fees & Billing calendar. A Deferred Payment Plan (DPP) is available, allowing students to pay quarterly tuition fees, health insurance and housing fees in three monthly installments, or semester fees in four monthly installments.

Course Materials & Service Fees

Students may be charged fees in some courses for the use, rental or consumption of materials, tools or equipment, or for the costs of materials or services necessary to provide a special supplemental educational experience. For example, course materials fees may cover the purchase of chemicals and glassware for a science laboratory or art supplies for an art studio class. They might also cover film rentals, field trips, or the purchase or rental of specific equipment. Courses that may be subject to the course materials fee are listed in the Schedule Builder. For a course materials fees list, see UC Davis Student Resources: Tuition & Fees.

Part-Time Students Fees

Students approved for part-time status for tuition purposes will be assessed one-half of Tuition. Nonresident students will also be assessed one-half of Nonresident Supplemental Tuition. There is no reduction in the Student Services Fee or in any of the campus-base fees. For more information and specific requirements, see Part-Time Status.

UC Employee-Student Fees

Reduced fees are available to UC career employees and certain UC retirees who are qualified for admission to the university. For full information, see Career Staff Reduced Fee.

Vehicle Parking Permit & Bicycle Licensing Fees

Parking permit information & rates or 530-752-8277. A California State bicycle license sticker is required on all bicycles operated on campus; full information or 530-752-2453.

Costs for a Year at UC Davis

For the most recent Cost of Attendance figures, see undergraduate; graduate; professional.

International Student Expenses

International students are responsible for all of their expenses while studying at UC Davis. The expenses include nonresident supplemental tuition, systemwide tuition & fees, campus-based fees, room and board, books and a modest amount for personal expenses. For the latest costs, see Cost of Attendance. It is extremely important that students arrive on campus with sufficient funds for the entire academic year to cover all fees, tuition and expenses such as room & board, health insurance, books, supplies, transportation and other miscellaneous expenses. Careful budgeting is essential for international students.

During the admission process, most international undergraduate students are required to demonstrate that they have financial support and that these funds are available for nine months. Students need to have adequate, reliable and continuing financial support for the whole time they are here. After students arrive in the United States, it is extremely difficult to obtain additional funding. The university does not offer grants or financial aid to international undergraduate students.

Fee Refunds

UC Davis follows the University of California’s system-wide refund procedures and any refund is based upon a Schedule of Refunds. When considering a leave of absence or separating from the university, any refund will be based upon the number of calendar days elapsed from the start of instruction to when such request is filed with the Office of the University Registrar.

Cancellation or Withdrawal From the University | Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) | University of California Student Health Plan (SHIP)

Residence for Tuition Information

For complete information for determination of residence for tuition, see Tuition & Residence.

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office provides financial assistance in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study employment. To apply, undergraduates and graduate students are required to annually file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the California Dream Act Application.

UC Education Finance Policy for Undergraduates | Graduate Student Funding

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal regulations require that undergraduate and graduate student financial aid recipients meet the published Standards for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for Financial Aid concerning GPA, Pace of Progression, and Maximum Timeframe of attempted units allowed to obtain a degree; see Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

Financial Aid Types

Grants. A grant is an award that does not have to be repaid as long as the student remains eligible. Whenever criteria and funding levels permit, a student's financial aid award includes grants; see Available Grant Awards.

Loans. Financial aid almost always includes a long-term loan; see Undergraduate Student Loans.


Undergraduate Work-Study allows students to earn part of their financial aid through part-time employment; see Work-Study for Undergraduate Students.

Community Service Work-Study. A wide variety of community service jobs are available for students who apply for Work-Study funding; see Work-Study for Undergraduate Students.

Work-Study for Graduate. Work-Study funds for graduate students are allocated directly to the chairpersons of the graduate programs; see Work-Study for Graduate Student Researchers.

Undergraduate Scholarships & Awards

Undergraduates with outstanding academic records are encouraged to apply for scholarships. For information about the scholarship application process, see Undergraduate & Prestigious Scholarships.