Academic Information


Office of the University Registrar; 530-752-3639

Registration includes the process of enrolling in classes, the financial obligation to pay tuition, fees and all other charges, filing current address (mailing, permanent, and emergency) information with the Office of the University Registrar, and completing and submitting any forms pertaining to your registration status. To be a continuing student at the university, you must enroll in classes each academic term. To be considered a registered student, you must also pay all tuition, fees and any outstanding balance due.

If you are a new student, your acceptance letter will direct you to all of the required next steps to obtain student status at the university. Graduate students who have previously attended UC Davis as undergraduates are considered to be new students. If you do not enroll in classes for a future academic term or did not take an approved leave of absence, you must apply for Readmission to return to the university and resume student status.

For complete information, see Registration.

Important Registration-Related Subjects

Change of Name | Change of Address

Preparing to Register | Undergraduate Registration Priority | Late Registration

Adding and Dropping Courses | Late Adding and Dropping Courses | Retroactive Drop & Add

Course Load

Both Undergraduate and Graduate students need to carry a study load of at least 12 units each quarter in order to be certified as full-time students.

Full-Time Status | Part-Time Status for Tuition Purposes | Undergraduate Expected & Minimum Progress | Graduate Time to Degree

The Minor

Complete list of Minor Programs Offered by UC Davis.

Additional Requirements for Colleges

College of:

Requirements for Schools

College of School of Education; Declare

School of Management; Accounting | Technology Management

Academic Credit

Units of Credit | Credit by Examination

Concurrent Enrollment

Per Davis Division Academic Senate Regulation A553, a student may not obtain transfer credit for courses taken at a non-University of California campus in a term during which the student is registered as a UC Davis full-time student. A variance can be obtained only by petitioning the dean of your college well in advance of the desired registration. For more information see Concurrent Enrollment.

Special Programs

There are a variety of special programs that allow students to take courses at other UC’s, at Community or CSU’s, in Sacramento, in Washington DC or abroad. Each program has its own requirements and application process.

Intercampus Visiting Programs | UC/CSU/Community College Cross Enrollment | Study Abroad | Summer Sessions

UC Davis Extension | Open Campus

Grades & Grading

For complete information on grades & grading, see Grading. Each college has different rules regarding P/NP grading; see College of:

Probation & Dismissal

The University of California Academic Senate (UCSR 900) and UC Davis Division Academic Senate (DD Reg A540C, DD Reg A552) Regulations govern probation and dismissal. Students must meet both academic and minimum standards of progress toward degree completion. For complete information on Probation and Dismissal, see Academic Standing.

Honors & Prizes

Deans' Honors Lists

According to UC Davis Academic Senate Regulation 551 (ASR 551.A), the quarterly Dean's Honors List includes names of students who have completed, for a letter grade, a minimum of 12 units in a specific quarter with a grade point average equal to or higher than the minimum grade point average attained by the upper 16 percent of those registered in the same class level and college during that quarter. Honors lists will be posted quarterly on deans' office websites or made available by other means and a notation of these honors will be placed on each student's permanent record by the Office of the University Registrar.

College of:

Graduation Honors

Honors at graduation are awarded to students who have a grade point average in the top percent of their college as shown in the table below. The College of Letters & Science requires that additional criteria be met for high and highest honors.

Total Quarter Units at UC
Highest Honors
High Honors
45-89 2% next 2% next 4% 8%
90-134 3% next 3% next 6% 12%
135+ 4% next 4% next 8% 16%

Grade point averages from the winter quarter prior to graduation are used to determine the averages that will earn an honors designation. Following are the averages for winter quarter 2020. These averages will be used through winter quarter 2021.

Grade Point Average by College

Percent Determining Cut-Off Point

Agricultural & Environmental Sciences

Biological Sciences


Letters & Science


An honors notation is made on students' diplomas and on their permanent records in the Office of the University Registrar.

Prizes & Awards

The University Medal is the highest campus honor awarded to a graduating senior in recognition of superior scholarship and achievement. A College or School Medal is also given to the outstanding graduating student in each of the colleges and professional schools.

Departmental citations, special awards and prizes are also awarded to students for superior achievement and scholarship.

Prizes & awards for, College of:

Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research & Mentoring Undergraduate Research

These prestigious awards recognize up to two graduating seniors who have distinguished themselves through their excellence in undergraduate research; and faculty, postdocs or graduate students who have excelled in mentoring undergraduate researchers. For complete information, see Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research.

University Honors Program

The University Honors Program (UHP), 530-752-3225, is a four-year, interdisciplinary, campus-wide program for high potential and socially conscious undergraduate students interested in enhancing their educational experience through special courses, close faculty contact, dynamic peer interaction and positive social change.

Leaving UC Davis

To graduate, undergraduate students must complete and submit an Application for Graduation with the Office of the University Registrar by the posted deadlines. To participate in the Commencement Ceremony, a student must register to walk. These are separate actions.

Graduation | Commencement Ceremony

Leave of Absence: Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP)

The Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) allows any continuing undergraduate or graduate level student to temporarily suspend academic work at UC Davis.


Withdrawal | Retroactive Withdrawal

Returning to UC Davis

Undergraduate Readmission. For any term a student does not register, is not on an approved leave of absence, or has cancelled/withdrawn from the university, the student is considered non-continuing and must apply for readmission to return to registered status.